Acompañan este blog:

Welcome!
I am writing this blog in Spanish and little bit in English too. Also you have Google Translate at the right side. THANKS :)

sábado, 6 de abril de 2013

Mi experiencia vistiendo ropa tradicional en Egipto// My experience wearing traditional costume in Egypt.

Al viajar a paises con una cultura muy diferente a la que conocemos nos encontraremos con formas de vestir muy distintas y reglas sociales que difieren a las nuestras. Esto rige tanto para mujeres como para hombres, aúnque en el caso de los hombres parezca ser menos evidente. En la mayoría de los países no se espera que los extrangeros adopten su estilo de vestir pero si lo intentamos no sólo respetamos su cultura pero además viviremos una experiencia muy interesante. Comprar y vestir ropa local nos hace estudiar más profundamente la cultura que vamos a visitar y es toda una aventura a la hora de salir a la calle con nuestro nuevo atuendo :)  Además nos ayuda a ser más respetados por los vendedores locales, "caza- turistas", etc. Hacer ésto no siempre es fácil y requiere mucha investigación previa. Buscar fotos de otros viajeros en internet donde se vea la gente local del país que vamos a visitar es un buen comienzo.
 When traveling to very different culture countries we will find very different ways of dressing and social rules that differ from ours. This applies to both women and men, although in the case of men appear to be less obvious. In most of the countries foreigners are not expected to adopt their style of dress, but if we try it we will be respecting their culture but also we will live a very interesting experience. Buy local clothes and to wear them help us to know more deeply the culture that we are visiting and is all an adventure going out with our new outfit :) also helps us to be more respected by local vendors, "hunt- tourists ", etc.. This is not easy and requires a lot of previous research. To find photos from other travelers on the Internet showing local people is a good start. 
  Pero hay poca información de cómo comprar y vestir dicha ropa porque la mayoría no lo sabe y/o no le interesa. A veces el idioma también es una barrera.
 But there is very less information about how to buy and wear such clothing because most do not know and / or do not care. Sometimes the language is also a barrier. In my travels, 
En Egipto, país musulmán, intenté usar el velo islámico aúnque no tenía ropa apropiada así que opté por usar mi viejo "salwar kameez" tradicional de la India (hacer click aquí) El resultado fue un tanto extravagante ja ja. En este país las mujeres no muestran sus brazos en público, así que mi atuendo de mangas cortas no era lo más apropiado, aúnque fue mejor opción que nuestra vestimenta occidental.
 In Egypt, a Muslim country, I tried to wear the Islamic veil though I had no proper clothing so I decided to use my old "salwar kameez" traditional Indian dress ( click here ) The result was somewhat extravagant ha ha. In this country, women do not show their arms in public, so my short-sleeved dress was not the most appropriate, although it was better choice than our Western clothing.
Here is the result:
Aquí está el resultado:
En Egipto no todas usan la típica túnica negra sino que las jóvenes llevan ropas más coloridas tipo occidentales, aúnque siempre cubriendo brazos y piernas (más infomación click aquí):
 In Egypt not everybody wear the typical black Muslim robe. Girls wear more colourful western style clothes, but always covering arms and legs ( more info click here ):
 A mi esposo le fue mejor con su atuendo:
 My husband got better result with his outfit:

Aúnque mi ropa tenía algunas fallas, me dejó algunos recuerdos interesantes:
  Although my outfit had some fails, gave me some interesting memories:
 
-Era obvio para todos que no eramos egipcios PERO este atuendo les hacía dudar que fueramos occidentales generando más respeto en la calle. Cuando nos vestíamos así no eramos acosados todo el tiempo por personas que intentaban engañarnos de un modo u otro.
It was obvious to everyone that we were not Egyptians but this outfit made them doubt if we were Western or not generating more respect to us on the street. When we dressed like that we were not harassed all the time by people trying to deceive us in one way or another.

- ¡Muchos nos preguntaron (en inglés) si eramos TURCOS! No he ido a Turquía así que no estoy segura de por qué esta comparación pero sentíamos otra conección con la gente. La barrera cultural no parecía tan grande.
 - Many asked us (in English) if we were Turkish! I have not gone to Turkey so I'm not sure why this comparison but I felt another connection with people. The cultural barrier did not seem so big.
 
- Cuando incursionamos en un mercado donde los turistas no van, fue como entrar a otro mundo. Los vendedores sólo se dirigían a mi esposo (como es costumbre en un país netamente musulmán) y le hablaban directamente en árabe (haciendolo entrar en pánico ja ja)
 - When we went to a market where tourists do not go, it was like entering to another world. Vendors only talked to my husband (as is usual in a Muslim country) and spoke to him directly in Arabic (making him to get panic ha ha)

- Una vez entré a una mesquita y una mujer me pidió, primero en árabe y después con señas de que me cubriera los brazos con mi pañuelo (cosa que hice como pude) ¿me habría hablado si yo estuviera vestida de "turista"? Yo creo que sintió que me estaba esforzando e intentó ayudarme :)
 - Once I entered in a mosque and a woman asked me, first in Arabic and then by signs to cover my arms with my handkerchief (which I did as I could) Would she have spoken to me if I were dressed in a "tourist way"? I think she felt I was trying it hard and she wanted to help me :)
 
- Mi esposo recibió muchos gestos de aprobación por su atuendo.
 - My husband received many gestures of approval for his attire.

- No llamabamos tanto la atención y la gente nos miraba menos.
 - People looked at us less in the streets.
 
- Especialmente cuando visitamos los oasis, donde los turistas brillan por su ausencia (unos pocos pasan rapidamente en camionetas de tours organizados) nos integramos muy bien a la gente local:
 - Especially when we visited the oasis, where there is not tourist at all  (a few vans pass quickly on organized tours) we integrated well with the locals
         Frente a nuestra habitación en el oasis/ At our room in the oasis.


4 comentarios:

  1. Wow, It's my dream to visit Egypt too!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Yes dear, Egypt is one of the most beautiful places. But nowadays it is not good idea to visit it. There are lot of political problem and it is dangerous. Even I know tourists still are going in organized tours but they don´t have any freedom. We need to wait till the conditions become better. I went before the revolution.

      Eliminar
  2. Very good experience in Egypt. I think your dresses help you a lot and this is really very nice to know. I hope in this way one can mix up easily with the local people. Good way to know more and more about the local people and to interact with them.

    ResponderEliminar

Your comment make me happy :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...